The 50th Session of the Committee on World Food Security (CFS) will be held from 10 to 13 October 2022.
UN-Habitat / GLTN will present on the 13th of October in Side Event 31 on ‘Unlocking the Potential of the Voluntary Guidelines on the Responsible Governance of Land (VGGTs) through Land Degradation Neutrality’.
This year marks the 10th anniversary of the Voluntary Guidelines on the Responsible Governance of Tenure of Land, Fisheries and Forest in the context of National Food Security (VGGT). The side event will dialogue on how these efforts can increase tenure security, particularly for the most vulnerable people and communities, and opens a new chapter in the ongoing efforts to implement the VGGT in the context of desertification, land degradation and drought.
The objectives of the session are:
- Increase the understanding on how secure tenure is intimately connected with land restoration activities and how they contribute to improved food security, nutrition and poverty reduction.
- Develop a checklist of context-specific actions that can be taken at national and local levels to integrate the Voluntary Guidelines on the Responsible Governance of Tenure of Land, Fisheries, and Forests (VGGT) into LDN and restoration initiatives.
- Recognize the importance of applying a gender equality and social inclusion lens for the meaningful and inclusive participation of all actors, including women, youth, indigenous peoples and local communities, and particularly those most vulnerable.
- Explore potential partnerships to move from global policy frameworks into people-centered action on the ground with the aim of developing multistakeholder collaborations.
- Discuss lessons learnt/ good practices gathering to reinforce knowledge and promote national and local innovations to advance VGGT implementation in the context of LDN.
Those interested can register at the following link: https://www.fao.org/cfs/plenary/cfs50/side-events/en/